Skip to main content
Menü

Chronology

1901

Construction work begins on the Meiderich Ironworks.

1903, 16 May

Blast furnace 1 is blown in and production of hematite, cast and non-phosphorous pig iron commences.

1912

All five blast furnaces of the Meiderich Ironworks are operational.

1914

First World War. Problems obtaining ore because of the export boycott and shortage of workers lead to a crisis in pig iron production at the Meiderich Ironworks.

1923

Situation normalised at the end of the November revolution 1918/19 and the end of the occupation of the Ruhr by French and Belgian troops.

1930

World economic crisis. Orders fall by half. Staff laid off, reductions in piece rate wages and shorter working hours are the consequences.

From 1933

Upturn in the iron and steel industry. In the second half of the 1930s production capacity increases from 60 to between 80 and 90 per cent.

From 1942

Labour shortage. Prisoners of war are deployed in the works.

1944

After three heavy air attacks, production at the Meiderich Ironworks comes to a standstill.

1945

Confiscation of all iron and steel works by the allies. Planned dismantling of whole industrial facilities as compensation for the destruction caused by the war. Reconstruction of the Meiderich works which was not listed for dismantling. Allies grant permission to resume production with the recommissioning of two blast furnaces.

From 1954

Construction of the new blast furnaces. Modernisation of the production plants.

From 1950

Onset of economic miracle. From end of the 1950s: unskilled workers from abroad help in the works.

1985

Closure of the works.

1988

International Building Exhibition Emscher Park (IBA). The state of North Rhine-Westphalia acquires the site and makes the ironworks a project of the IBA.

1989

Internationally advertised Landscape Architects competition.

1991

Professor Peter Latz from Kranzberg wins the Landscape Architects competition and is entrusted with the planning and realisation of the Landscape Park.

1994

The first part of the Landscape Park is opened to the public.

1997

Founding of Landscape Park Duisburg Nord GmbH.

2001

Opening of the Visitors’ Centre and the restaurant in the Main Switching House and the Youth Hostel and Training centre in the Old Administration Building.

2002 - 2003

Conversion of the Blower House Complex and Casting House into multi-functional events venues.

2008, February

Founding of the European Route of Industrial Heritage (ERIH). The Landscape Park becomes a founding member.

2009

Conversion of light installation to energy-saving LED technology commences.

2012, March

Opening of ore bunkers 2-5 for visitors.

2013

Extensive reparation works on Blast Furnace 5.

2013, October

Fire on schooling farm Ingenhammshof.

2013, November

Go-Live of the LED light installation on the chimney stacks.

2014

The Landscape Park celebrates its 20th birthday.

2014, August

Opening of a new entrance to Blast Furnace 5.

2016

Acustic and energetic renovation of the store room.

2017

The Regionalverband Ruhr (RVR) and the North Duisburg Landscape Park sign the contract for the Route of Industrial Heritage for the following ten years.

Weiterleitung zur Website des Duisburg Kontor